Friday, April 12, 2013

Another Lectionary Poem: FOLLOW ME! .


 . . . After this he said to him, "Follow me!" (John 21:19b, NRSV)


FOLLOW ME!

When you know you are forgiven and redeemed, you can be sure
        that the final word from Christ will always be,
after you profess your love for him and promise to endure,
        what he said to Simon Peter: “Follow me!”

When he asks you, “Do you love me?” as he did Peter that day,
        and you say, “You know I do!” indignantly,
you may not become a shepherd, but you’ll always hear him say
        his concluding words to Peter: “Follow me!”

You may not know what the future holds, or when the end will come,
        or just how you will fulfill your destiny.
But until that final day dawns, you can learn a lesson from
        what Christ Jesus said to Peter: “Follow me!”

RSA

No comments:

Post a Comment