Saturday, September 17, 2016

THE EXPLOSIVE POWER OF A PREGNANT PERIOD


        Mr. Trump thought he could put this issue to rest before the first presidential debate. He was wrong! He has only made matters much worse, arousing a firestorm of criticism from the news media. In reversing one lie, which was the cornerstone of his political campaign, he told two more blatant lies. He accused Hillary Clinton of starting the birther movement and he claimed credit for ending it!

        Donald Trump made his big announcement yesterday morning: “President Barack Obama was born in the United States. Period!”
        That spoken "Period" was important. It meant:

        “I’m not going to say anything more. Period!”
        “I’m not going to tell you why I am making this announcement at this time. Period!”
        “I’m not going to tell you why I changed my mind. Period!”
        “I’m not going to admit I was wrong for claiming that Barack Obama was not born in the USA   and hence is not legally qualified to be President. Period!”
        “I’m not going to apologize to President Obama for repeating that falsehood for years. Period!”
        “I’m not going to apologize to the American people for lying to them about this. Period!"
        “I’m not going to apologize to the press for deceiving them into thinking they were coming to a  press conference this morning, instead of a marketing event for my new hotel and a political rally at which I would trot out some retired service vets to sing my praises. Period!”
Image result for trump lies at washington press conference. photos
No apology from Donald Trump
        "I've never apologized for anything else I've ever said, so why should I apologize for this? Period!"
        Until now Dangerous Donald has been able to get away with his lies and even parlay them into higher poll numbers among the deplorables. The media pundits seldom call him to account for his false attacks against Secretary Clinton. Each new lie, each new false attack against Hillary Clinton eclipses the previous one, and his surrogates fan the flames of hatred. Some commentators are predicting that this, too, shall pass and people will forget about it, the next time he puts his silver foot in his mouth.
        I’m not so sure about that. After listening to the outrage expressed by members of the Congressional Black Conference yesterday afternoon over Trump’s politically motivated concession, I seriously doubt that this issue is going away any time soon. They were passionately persuasive in calling for the defeat of Donald Trump and in urging African Americans and all Democrats and Independents to vote for Hillary Clinton in the forthcoming election. “We can’t let this man become President of the United States!” was their loud and clear message.
        Will all this have any impact on the polling trends? I think it will, and not in favor of Mr. Trump. He and his see-no-evil surrogates are not going to get away with this one.
        His explosive “Period” has backfired big time. Exclamation point!

No comments:

Post a Comment