Wednesday, March 20, 2013

PALM SUNDAY IMPERATIVE

Another poem reflecting on part of the lectionary Gospel passage for Palm Sunday, March 24.

Some of the Pharisees in the crowd said to him, "Teacher, order your disciples to stop." 40 He answered, "I tell you, if these were silent, the stones would shout out" (Luke 19:39-40, NRSV).

PALM SUNDAY IMPERATIVE


Don’t tell me not to praise the Lord,
when all within me sings.
My heart in expectation waits                                                            
to hail the King of kings.

Don’t tell me not to praise the Lord,
when love evokes my cheers
and hope is born anew, when he
triumphantly appears.

Don’t tell me not to praise the Lord,
when my soul bursts to shout.
If I keep still, the very stones
beneath me will cry out.

Don’t tell me not to praise the Lord,
when my faith level soars.
My lips will yearn to bless his name
as long as life endures.

RSA

No comments:

Post a Comment